I’ve been out to do “Day 11s” with Travis and Michelle a few times. “Day 11s” are done when the nestlings are 11 days old, and consist of banding, taking blood samples, and taking morphological measurements. The second territory we went to today had some particularly whiny little nestlings. I enjoy how their little heads bobble around and their gangly legs kick, somehow thinking they might get away.
I also went out with Travis one morning to watch him capture an adult male, again, to take blood samples related to a project he is doing, and morphological measurements. To capture the adults we use wire traps. You bait the trap with peanuts, and then watch for when the Jay can’t resist the pile sitting just out of reach, and hops into the trap, tripping the door. The male we trapped was surprisingly quiet. I expected him to make a fuss and be squawking quite a bit. You could tell he didn’t like it. But as soon as he was released with a peanut he seemed a bit soothed. Peanuts make it all better…
In other news, I still hate prickly pear cacti. But they are pretty in bloom.
I’m 75% sure I saw a Coral Snake this morning, and apparently Travis saw Edward and Brad going at it again.
My time here at Archbold is almost done. In a week I will be making my way out west for the next chapter in my adventure. The return to Sheldon, and Badger Cabin is on the horizon… I wonder if Cletus is still there…
No comments:
Post a Comment