The end of my second field season in Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge is upon us all, and I'm feeling bittersweet about it. I'm going to miss waking up and falling asleep in the sagebrush... but I'm looking forward to the next thing. Whatever it is. I have a winter bird banding internship lined up for Nov. through March, and I'm currently searching for a field job to tide me over until then. I realized last night that besides New Hampshire and North Carolina (the latter not really counting), I've lived the longest out in the boonies of Sheldon NWR. I am rather attached to it.
We had a crew BBQ at Badger cabin a few nights ago, and Jan, Ben and I dressed up. Jan and I in skirts, because we were feeling a little deprived of occasions to get a little bit girly. The guys on the crew were a little taken aback to see us in something besides Carhartts and a t-shirt.
Here's a few shots from the night:
Our half eaten watermelon...
Adam the grillmaster...
Berti making burger art...
Music for the night...
I'm going to miss it... I will be back to visit someday.
1 comment:
Sheldon will always hold fond memories that you can revisit in the sagebrush.
Post a Comment