I spoke too soon.
I have poison oak.
It started small. A little scrape on my knee. And at first it was no big deal... Then you scratch it absentmindedly. And it itches more. So you scratch. And then it REALLY itches. So you keep on scratching. And then it bleeds. But it feels better now.
After a few more absentminded scratching episodes you notice the little scrape has turned into a little patch. And still itches like crazy. So you try to stop scratching. But most of the time you give in. Interns run at you from across the room to hold your hands in a futile attempt to stop the carnage.
You discover the therapeutic benefits of Technu and a scalding shower. And when I say scalding, I mean it. If the water touches anywhere other than the poison oak that you are trying to scorch you should be yelping in pain. The water on the rash feels like a really intense session of scratching... just without causing the rash to spread. the itching will stop for a few hours after this. The shower treatment also has the added benefit of helping the rash dry out.
Now this may sound like I'm miserable... but really it only itches about 5% of the time. I have a really mild case. When it does itch, it really itches though. I can't imagine having a severe case. This being the first time I've ever gotten Poison Oak or Poison Ivy I'm only dreading the next time I'm bound to run into it on Santa Cruz. Apparently many people have more severe reactions after being exposed for the first time.
I'm hoping I am an exception.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment