So the slogan of the Florida State Park system is "The REAL Florida." Which I find amusing, and sad, but true. Of course, my concept of Florida was originally based on Mickey Mouse, themeparks, and beaches. I'm now beginning to see a much different picture. Florida really is unique in the wildlife hanging out here. Case in point, the Florida Scrub Jay. Not found anywhere else. It would be a travesty to see them go if development is unchecked. All the princess castles in the world do not compare to the natural beauty of the unique ecosystems here.
This past week we made an afternoon trip to Highland's Hammock State Park.

We spent a few hours just wandering around on boardwalk trails through the old-growth cypress swamp, taking pictures of and just enjoying everything from the lichen on the trees, to the colorful spiders in their webs, to the American Alligator lounging in the lilly pads.




The Florida Scrub has it's beauty too... but it was nice to see a totally different ecosystem down here. I think next I might see what birds there are to check out along the coast of Lake Placid.
No comments:
Post a Comment