So the birds are still winning. The nest that I thought may not have actually been active wasn't active, like I suspected. And the first real nest that I found abandoned a few days later. But I did find another nest, which is still up and running, and may have eggs soon. I hope it does because I feel like I'm treading water at this point and not making much progress. It is a little comforting that other people are having the birds get the better of them as well. Today I searched the territory that the tame bird, GCB-I, who thinks everyone is his buddy lives on. I spent a good deal of the time with him sitting on top of my baseball hat while I offered palmetto fibers to the two females he's hanging out with, hoping one of them would pick them up and fly them over to the nest. If there even is one at this point. Which I don't think there is, as both females were doing a hiccup display and singing... with the other around... and no fights broke out. I think GCB-I is confused. He clearly has two lovely ladies and is more interested in standing on the brim of my hat and peering under to look at me. Checking to see if I have any peanuts in my mouth I'm sure. Either that or perching on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot.
In non bird related news we had a Sunday brunch/ BBQ/ gathering at the director of the bird lab at Archbold's house. There was so much good food... I was stuffed for hours. We played "Bags" which I am a newbie to. Apparently it's a regional US thing which I had never been exposed to before. Basically there are two boards with a hole cut in the middle, spaced about 30 feet apart. Two teams of two compete, throwing bean bags and attempting to get them in the hole. It can get pretty intense. We're having a tournament at Lynx Cabin in a few weeks. I had a good time playing that and acting pretty much like an 8 year old and jumping on a trampoline with another bird lab intern.
Last night we went to an awesome Mexican restaurant for dinner in Sebring. Then we came back and had a good time just hanging out in the cabin and playing games. It was a late night, and everybody's a little foggy today, but of course, we were all out there stalking the birds at 7... like every morning. I wonder if they get lonely if the biologists don't come visit...
No comments:
Post a Comment