June 05, 2007

Catnip Trip #1

5/25/2007

So I’m out camping for 2 days/ nights at Catnip Mountain with Justin and Matt. We start point counts tomorrow. I’ll be tagging along with one of them each day to get some more practice. Then Monday it’s back to Little Sheldon and Bald Mountain for a few more practice runs with Aaron. I should hopefully be comfortable enough to go out on my own on Thursday.
On the drive out here we saw a bobcat which was pretty sweet. He ran parallel to the road for a while we drove behind, then he ducked into a drainage tunnel. We stopped, Matt hopped out, and got some video of him. I couldn’t get any good pictures though… stuck in the backseat of the truck.
Anyways, I’m exhausted. It’s 8:30 & I took an hour nap from 5-6. But tomorrow’s gonna be early… aka, out at the first point by 5:45. Which means getting up at 4:45ish. Yikes. Wish me luck…

~me

5/26/2007

Today was the first day out at Catnip. Went out with Matt this morning and did point counts. Finished up and made it back to our camp at around 9 am. Hung out for a bit, then had to go out and get a few more pictures and site registrations done. Waited for Justin to return, then drove off to our second camp. The drive over was entertaining. Picture an F150 4x4 truck in first gear bumbling along a dirt/ rock/ grass track while the occupants inside listen to “Frank and Friends,” a Frank Sinatra hour on AM radio… quite the juxtaposition.
So the dirt here is pretty much useless and I hope it holds my tent stakes. If not, I’ll be sleeping in the back of the truck.
Anyways, I’m out to dream of wild horses, a hot shower, and a warm meal… until tomorrow…

~me

No comments: