06/11/2007
So add a mountain lion to my list of seen animals…
Justin and I were starting our drive back from Catnip, bumbling along the road when he slammed on the brakes and pulled the truck off suddenly to the side of the road. I looked out the window where he was looking and gawking and caught the mountain lion just as he spotted us and took off. He flew through the sagebrush, and smoothly too. I’m sure the antelope can move that fast, they have to… but it doesn’t look like it with all the up and down movement they incorporate. Swimming through the sagebrush is definitely an accurate description.
I still can’t get over the fact that I’m being paid to do this… Get up, hike, listen to and look at birds and other wildlife, then hang out with some pretty cool people.
Other wild life sightings today include a young coyote pup, and more wild horses. I took the preemptive strike today when a stallion started snorting at me in the distance. Began talking, letting him know I knew he was there, before he decided to challenge me. Essentially the conversation went like this:
“Yeah, I see you. Shut up. I’m trying to work here. Let’s make a deal. I’ll leave you alone if you leave me alone. OK? Good. See? I’m walking this way you @$*$%#*… even though you’re in my way. I’ll hike around you. Now go away.”
It seemed to work. He moved off with his group no problem. No confrontation. I honestly think I should be more worried about the possibly rabid bat that was flying around Badger Cabin in broad daylight and landing on Viddy’s face than wild horses. And now that I’ve seen a mountain lion I’ll probably never see one again. Aaron, who has been working in the sagebrush for over ten years has actually never seen one. I’m still carrying my pocket knife though.
~me
No comments:
Post a Comment